Call for papers for international workshop
on in Antwerp (Belgium)
deadline for submission:
On UCSIA organizes an international academic workshop on at the University of Antwerp, Belgium.
UCSIA is organising a series of three workshops to examine the problem of peace in light of contemporary global political and cultural conditions. What meaning does peace have today and what practices and institutions are taken to embody it? Does global public opinion value peace or does it favor the comfort of security?
A first workshop will analyze the vitality and viability of the current state of pacifism. This second workshop will focus on the future of the role of nuclear weapons in world politics. Nuclear weapons are often perceived as stabilizing instruments in international politics, especially in the nine possessor states as well as their non-nuclear allies. The most important criticism vis-à-vis nuclear weapons is probably that the use of nuclear weapons would be contrary to the major principles of international humanitarian law (discrimination, proportionality, … ). Because of their destructive capacity, their use is generally (except by the nuclear-armed states) regarded as illegitimate. Due to the so-called Humanitarian Initiative of 123 states and many NGO's, UN multilateral negotiations have been started up and concluded in 2017 to ban nuclear weapons. The nuclear-armed states and their allies, however, are still not convinced of the usefulness of a Ban Treaty despite their disarmament obligations under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. They refer to the humanitarian and security aspects related to nuclear weapons. The advocates of the Humanitarian Initiative and the Ban Treaty respond that nuclear weapons provide more insecurity than security. The effects of the use of nuclear weapons - let alone a nuclear war - will likely be felt beyond the borders of a single state.
Confirmed guest lecturers:
Researchers, doctoral students, and other experts are welcome to submit their application until www.ucsia.org.. Full details on
More information: www.ucsia.org
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
Wednesday, September 13, 2017
Michał Paluch, O.P.: Curriculum vitae
- 14 March 1967 – born at Jarocin (Poland)
- 1982–1986 – studies at the State Secondary School of Music in Poznań (Poland)
- 1986–1987 – a year of studies in the piano class at the Academy of Music in Katowice
- 1987–1988 – Dominican novitiate in Poznań
- 1988–1995 – studies at the Dominican House of Studies of the Polish Province in Cracow, completed Master’s degree (Diploma) in dogmatic theology prepared under the guidance of prof. Zofia Włodek on the subject "Pojęcie nicości w koncepcji stworzenia z niczego św. Tomasza z Akwinu [The Concept of Nothingness in the Concept of Creation out of Nothing according to St. Thomas Aquinas]
- 10 June1995 – ordination to the priesthood
- 1995–1996 – pastoral work at Prudnik (Poland)
- 1996–2000 – doctoral studies in the history of dogmatic theology in Fribourg (Switzerland) under the guidance of J. -P. Torrell that was completed with the dissertation: ”Profundum amoris divini sustinet nos. Evolution de la doctrine de la prédestination dans l’œuvre de saint Thomas d’Aquin”
- 30 April 2001 – defence of the doctoral dissertation at the University of Fribourg
- Since 2001 – a lecturer in the Dominican House of Studies of the Polish Province in Cracow
- 2002–2010 – Director of the Thomistic Institute in Warsaw
- 2010–2013 – President (rector) of the Dominican House of Studies of the Polish Province in Cracow
- 26 June 2013 – habilitation in philosophy at the Institute of Philosophy and Sociology of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw
- 2013–2014 – a research scholar at the Institute for Church Life (Notre Dame University)
- 2014 – 2017 Regent of studies of the Polish Dominican Province, a lecturer at the Pontifical Faculty of Theology in Warsaw
- 2017 – Rector Magnifico of the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas (Rome).
Friday 22 END OF ADMISSIONS, MODIFICATION OF ONE’S STUDY PLAN, AND THE PAYMENT OF FEES FOR THE FIRST SEMESTER.*
Venerdì 22 TERMINE DELLE ISCRIZIONI DELLE MODIFICHE AL PIANO DI STUDIO, DEL PAGAMENTO DELLE TASSE ACCADEMICHE DEL PRIMO SEMESTRE.*
*Who registers after this date must pay a penalty (50 EUR for a delay up to 14 days, 100 EUR for further delays)
*Chi si iscrive dopo dovrà pagare la multa (50 EUR per un ritardo fino a 14 giorni, 100 EUR per ritardo ulteriore....)