The General Chapter of the Friars of the Order of Preachers of 1904 (Viterbo) directed Hyacinthe-Marie Cormier, O.P., the newly elected Master General of the Order of Preachers, to develop the College of St. Thomas into a "studium generalissimum for the entire Dominican Order: "Romae erigatur collegium studiorum Ordinis generalissimum, auctoritate magistri generalis immediate subjectum, in quo floreat vita regularis, et ad quod mittantur fratres ex omnibus provinciis."
Cormier responded by stating his intention to establish this new studium as the principal vehicle of dissemination of orthodox thought of St. Thomas Aquinas not only among the Dominicans, but also among the secular clergy. Building on the vision of the college established at the Minerva in 1577, this new institution embodied a broader scope and vision directly regulated by the Master of the Order.
Father Cormier died in Rome in 1916 and was beatified by Bl. Pope John Paul II in 1995. HIS BODY NOW LIES IN THE CHURCH OF SS. DOMINIC AND SIXTUS AT THE ANGELICUM.