Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Goodbye Mr. Chips!


Farewell letter of Prof. Bruce Williams, OP to all at the Angelicum:

Magnificat anima mea Dominum! Mary’s great hymn of praise to God most aptly expresses what is in my heart as I conclude my service as a professor in the Angelicum Faculty of Theology. The privilege of studying and then teaching at the Angelicum has been a particularly rich source of blessing for me, spanning roughly half of my forty-four years of ordained priesthood. It has been a singular honor to work in this international environment, experiencing the fraternity of Dominican life with brethren from around the world, collaborating with so many eminent scholars, and teaching hundreds of students – clerical, Religious, and laity – whose zeal in God’s service has both challenged and inspired me.

My gratitude for these countless graces surpasses any words I could put together. The Angelicum, and the faculty and students who are or have been part of this university family, remain always in my prayers.

Bruce Williams, O.P.





Thank you for all your years of dedicated and humble service at the Angelicum. You will be sorely missed!


Mr. Chipping 'Mr. Chips': I thought I heard you saying it was a pity... pity I never had any children. But you're wrong. I have. Thousands of them. Thousands of them... and all [mostly] boys!

Quote from James Hilton's novel: "Goodbye Mr. Chips" (1934)